The Mill

The ancient building consists of a 16th century farmhouse divided into 8 apartments and an additional suite located on the top of the tower. A few metres from the farmhouse there is the ‘Limonaia’ used as kitchen. The relaxing swimming pool is equipped with Roman-style steps and massaging water jets. Nearby the main building there’s a typical barn and some traditional agricultural equipment. We would like to renovate the barn and open a point of sale of our wines and olive oil.

The park

The farmhouse is in the middle of a beautiful park which extension is about 1 hectare. The park is rich in vegetation and offers a wide variety of plants, shrubs, trees and wild flowers that surround the farmhouse enhancing its architectural beauty. The central position of the farmhouse is a guarantee of privacy and peace for all the guests. The park is ideal to walk, ride a bike or simply to explore the wildlife of the country. We also offer wine tasting and food tasting to our guests.

Historical background

This delightful estate situated in Umbria and close to Uncinano (Spoleto) dates back to the early 1600s. An engraving found on an ancient stone wall whilst renovation works were taking place led us to believe that the small group of buildings were built in 1627. In the past, this estate belonged to two noble families known as La Famliglia Zacchei-Travaglini. This marriage of families is one of the most ancient of Spoleto, and their ancestors were known to partake in the life of politics and High Society between 700 and 800.

Among these was Valerio Travaglini, who became the Lord Mayor of Spoleto during the French Occupation. In 1859 Carlo and Valerio Zacchei-Travalglini handed over ownership of the estate to the Bernardi brothers (Domenico and Giuseppe). Subsequently the brothers transferred the holding to the only remaining heir, Pietro Bernardi, Guiseppe’s son, around 1886. He maintained the property until 1932.

The main use of the estate, from the time that it was first constructed until the beginning of the 19th century is not entirely clear, though we do know that during the Bernardi ownership it was a ‘casino di villegiatura con torchio di olio’, meaning holiday home with an oil press. An ancient map of the locality dating back to the mid part of the 19th Century illustrates how the course of the river Campagnano was re-routed in order to channel water necessary for running machinery into water ducts still visible today. It is thought that such a diversion was present during past epochs, testifying to the fact that this estate had been used for the production of olive oil. The mention of the word ‘Molino’, or windmill, on ancient plans of the estate, further confirm that this small set of buildings were used as such.

In recent years advances in technology and the abandonment of traditional olive pressing processes have led to the reclamation and drainage of the surrounding area, which subsequently got rid of the channelled river course running through the estate. The windmill ceased to function, and it was later transformed into a great farmhouse with stables, barns and apartments for the farming community.

Today the farmhouse and its out buildings are noted for their cultural contribution to the town of Spoleto and the estate itself is a site of architectural interest. The recent renovations have not altered the original character of the buildings, so they are in keeping with their surroundings.

Winetastings and winery tours

Why not enjoy of these beautiful surroundings, good food and our Colle Uncinano brand wines, produced in our vineyards just a few meters from the agriturismo. Book a tasting and if you do not want to ride make the most of our building.